There are no owners who would not want to decorate their home with stylish, beautiful, and practical furniture. One of the elements of the interior that cannot be left out in any home is a table. Despite the large selection of these products, many artisans at home try to creating a round table with their own hands because, in this way, you can be sure that the product fits perfectly into the interior. This solution has its pros and cons due to some process difficulties.
Advantages and Nuances of creating a round table own hands
A round table is an excellent option for creating a comfortable environment in the kitchen, living room, children’s room, terrace, and gazebo. The lack of corners eliminates the possibility of bruises and promotes an atmosphere of comfort and closeness. However, it should bear in mind that such furniture does not fit into all interiors.
If you have the skills to deal with household appliances, patience and attention are needed to make a round table.
The decision to make a wooden round table yourself has the following advantages:
- To save the family budget. Factory parts are much more expensive. The additional cost is several times higher than the raw material price. The cost of making a type of round table only includes the purchase of timber and fasteners.
- Choice of the model. It is not always possible to find the right product in stores. Self-design, the combination allows you to assemble elements of different types and create your unique version.
- Choice of size, settings. Furniture is made for rooms with specific features and limited area. Sometimes the rooms are so small that not a single factory item fits into them. The way out is a portable round table in the kitchen with your own hands.
- He is gaining the necessary experience. After assembling a very complex structure, the home craftsman can develop further and create new projects.
The downside is that it is difficult for beginners to create a round table on their own. In addition, it is necessary to buy special tools, without which it is impossible to get perfectly smooth edges.
To create a round table with your own hands, you can pick up various ideas from magazines, and theme pages online, by going to furniture stores. The most popular designs today are:
- Coffee table. As a rule, such items are made in a multi-stage design with open shelves. Their walls simultaneously act as legs.
- Kitchen table. Suitable for small spaces with a loose corner. Sloping edges allow furniture to move freely around the room. If necessary, install a device extractor.
- Dining room. A large wooden table will fit perfectly into the living room, which has a square meter shape. The product will look perfect against solid wood furniture.
- Folding. A do-it-yourself oval table with folding table tops is an essential solution for small apartments. When assembled, it takes up little space; in working condition, it accommodates many guests.
When developing a plan for making a round table with your own hands, you should think not only about its dimensions but also the layout of the space under the tabletop. The product’s ability, stability, and ease of use depend on its design.
The substructure of the round table can be as follows:
- 4 feet. Classic, proven over the centuries. The plus is that such furniture is stable and easy to use. People do not have to think about where to put their feet, as there is plenty of room for this.
- With a jumper. This table design is practical, durable, and easy to manufacture. The disadvantage is that the seated knees will constantly rest on the crossbar.
- Straight hair. This model is more suitable for country-style rooms. Sitting at such a table will be moderately comfortable.
- One entry with a cross or a dial. The furniture looks elegant and takes up little space due to its density. Stability is achieved by installing a broad, heavy base. Otherwise, a homemade round table on one leg will constantly roll over.
- Modern development. Curved supports that spread below and above come into vogue. A comfortable and practical model, where a saddle connects the legs, makes the sitting process more comfortable.
Priority is given to projects that best fit the room’s interior and where will locate the furniture.
When choosing a material for creating a round table, it is necessary to take into account the following criteria:
- Facilitate processing;
- Moisture resistance;
- Beauty and attraction;
- Compatibility with the interior;
- Own abilities and skills.
You can use the same or different materials for different tableware. It all depends on the taste of the owner and the original project.
For Table Tops
There are such options for creating a round table:
- Wood. Used solid pine, oak, beech, and ash. Raw materials are easily possible for all types of processing and have a distinctive appearance. The finished products fit organically into any interior, both indoors and outdoors. The disadvantage is that wood is susceptible to moisture, insects, and mechanical damage.
- Particleboard. For production, it is better to take laminate boards, distinguished by their strength and cost-effectiveness. The disadvantage of ready-made banners lies in the loose structure of the material, as the screws do not hold well.
- Simple polycarbonate. The material is beautiful, strong, but easily scratched, and melts on contact with hot objects.
- Plywood. Plywood round table is made of waterproof material with a thickness of at least 16 mm. The boards are durable, with a beautiful surface, but are sensitive to moisture.
- Metal. Strong and durable for all types of impact bottoms. The downside is that stainless steel requires special tools and professional skills.
For a round table top, it is advisable to choose materials that fit well with the interior. So, glass, particle board, and solid wood suit the kitchen. When creating a gazebo table, it is better to focus on plastic or metal. Such products can withstand changes in humidity and temperature without consequences. We should not forget the aesthetic side of things. By putting efficiency and durability first, it is easy to lose design. Here, however, you can find a middle ground using various surface decoration options.
For The Foundation
The best choice for a round table would be metal, which is almost impossible to damage. The following material is selected depending on where will set up the round table:
- Profile pipe. Products made of black, galvanized, stainless steel or aluminium are used.
- Wave equipment. The inexpensive and durable raw material must be cleaned regularly and treated against corrosion.
- Water pipes. The plus is that you can use ready-made fixtures to connect them.
The next strength will be solid wood with a diameter of 20 mm and chipboard with a thickness of at least 12 mm. Connecting the panels with bolts and nuts with wide washers is better. Self-tapping screws do not provide sufficient safety limits. Plywood should be discarded, as it bends even under light loads. The exception is light coffee tables that are not under much stress.
As for the round table base, the strength should come first, and comfort and performance should come second.
Tools and Fasteners
To make a wooden round table, you need the following tools:
- Mitre box;
- Grinding machine;
If you work with metal, you need to buy a grinder, a welding machine, and an electrode. In addition, steel plates and iron rods are helpful for assembly.
To create a wooden round table with your own hands, you need the following materials:
- Steel horn;
- Self-tapping screws;
- Table 20 mm with selected edges;
- Timber 50 x 50 mm;
- Furniture varnish;
- Edge tape;
- Acrylic paint;
When drilling and grinding, it is recommended to use gauze bandages and goggles. To ensure the safety of a round wooden table production, you need to buy fire extinguishers made of powder and foam in advance, with which you can extinguish fires if they occur during use.
Size and Preparation of Drawings for creating a round table own hands
Creating a round table with your hands begins to determine its dimensions and settings. The product’s strength, stability, and efficiency depend on the accuracy of the calculations. The calculation is based on the following assumptions:
- The total area of the room;
- The existence of other furniture, the place of their installation;
- The purpose of the subject;
- Height of the legs;
- Best size to meet assigned tasks.
We need to ensure that even on the most beautiful round table it would be possible to arrange dishes for the whole family without any problems. In this case, it is advisable to provide 1-2 guests reserve.
After that, the design documents are prepared where the dimensions, the diameter of the hole, and the distance between the parts are drawn. Detailed details allow you to do the job with great precision. I can make drawings both on paper and on a computer. The choice depends on the ability of individuals and the experience of doing such work.
Master Class on Creating a Circular Wooden Table
To create, assembling a round table with your own hands should be carried out in a well-ventilated room on a flat and clean surface. Prepare a bucket, broom, and scoop to keep the work area clean during the assembly process. Suppose it is planned to use strong-smelling and toxic substances. In that case, it is necessary to warn family members against this and to isolate pets.
It would help if you also took care of fire protection measures. To extinguish a fire, you need to equip a container with water and a powder fire extinguisher to eliminate the potential fire of electrical appliances and appliances. It would help if you did not forget your health. During work, it is possible to get injured. To provide first aid, you need to have first aid equipment on hand with the necessary equipment and medicines. The emergency number must be in a prominent place.
Production and Assembly
The production process of the round table consists of the following steps:
- Impregnation of the substance with disinfectant. After that, the wood should dry completely.
- Processing of workpieces with the hydrophobic. Linseed oil is well suited for this.
- Storyboard in pieces of the desired length. Lubricate the grooves with glue, fixing new parts alternately and fastening the type of shield with clamps. You can screw a few rails on the lower side to increase the strength.
- I am cutting the table. The outline of the circle or oval table is made using a compass or twine with a pencil. Then everything is unnecessarily cut down.
- Attach the foot to the centre of the shield with metal corners.
- Production of jumps in the amount of 8 pieces. Sowing takes place at a 45-degree angle.
- Assemble a cross with sides equal to the diameter of the tabletop.
- We are combining the crosspiece with the foot with steel corners.
- They are screwing the jumpers to the lower part of the tabletop, the cross.
At this stage, the session is over. You can proceed to the final processing of the finished product. If desired, you can decorate the table to your liking.
Finishing involves the following functions:
- The parts made are processed with a grinder. Final sanding is done with zero sandpaper. The quality of work is examined visually and tangibly. The finished surface should be smooth with no protruding parts.
- Putty. Holes, chips, and cracks can form on the tabletop during processing. Must seal them with unique wood, silicone, or putty.
- The product is cleaned of dust. Depending on the design chosen, the wood is coloured or blown with a blower.
- The table is finished with paint or varnish. To achieve an even and durable layer, put 2-3 layers.
- The final band is glued. Use an adhesive that can withstand temperature changes and moisture to fix it.
Finally, additional items are installed – shelves, shelves, forged jewellery.
Creative Ideas for creating a round table own hands
A non-standard approach to furniture production is used to make the home more original and attractive. You can use one of the following ideas:
- Plank bottoms from giant barrels that are obsolete. Current inscriptions only emphasize the exciting history of the product. The lower edges of the boards can be made of sills made of iron-bonded or chopped wood.
- Cuts of suitcases with a large diameter. Their edges may be rounded or remain with the bark. The wild tree looks perfect in gazebos, on terraces, and in corridors of country houses.
- Power cords. The products are comfortable, large, and stable. They only need finishing. Service messages add originality.
- Solid wood with carving. The products made are filled with epoxy glue. It looks very unusual.
The round table helps to create an atmosphere close to home. And if it is made by hand, it will surely be loved by all the family members. The exclusive design will help to give the room its uniqueness and unique style.